A Proven Pathway to Academic Success in Canada
Completion of VGC’s University Preparation Program prepares you for your academic career at a university in Canada.
Successful completion of our University Preparation Program will allow you to gain the necessary language requirements for acceptance and direct entry into our partner colleges or universities (See our Pathway page for required entry levels).
This program is delivered in advanced and intermediate levels. In the University Preparation – Intermediate students are introduced to academic English and skills while still learning grammar and other general English skills that are needed at this level. In the University Preparation – Advanced students focus less on general English skills and more on English for Academic Purposes (EAP) ensuring the student is university ready.
Hundreds of VGC students have enjoyed our seamless entry to a post-secondary program. A student who successfully completes our University Preparation course can use our Pathway Program designed for direct entry into our selected group of post-secondary partners (this means there is no need to write an IELTS or TOEFL test). Whether it be a Masters, PhD, or undergraduate studies, VGC University Preparation students can use their UP scores as proof of English language level. Please see our VGC Pathway Partner page for more details as levels and duration of study changes depending on program and institution.
VGC’s University Preparation Program does not just get you into a Canadian University; it ensures that you will meet your goals by being successful in a Canadian learning environment. We do this by focusing on the following key skills:
By the end of your studies in this course you will:
- have learned how to listen to lectures and take effective notes.
- have read critically with a healthy level of skepticism.
- have conducted quantitative research, analyzed data, reported and discussed findings.
- have come to conclusions based on observation and evidence.
- have written effective essays, arguing a case, supported by reading and empirical evidence.
- have delivered university level oral presentations.
- have developed exam strategies to better your results.
The VGC Difference
- Receive personal speaking and writing feedback from a teacher who specializes in English for Academic Purposes (EAP).
- Every two weeks your teacher will have a one-on-one meeting with you to discuss your progress and future university plans.
- We personalize your university preparation and ensure that your study plans will be successful so you can go to the university in Canada of your choice.
- VGC offers two levels of University Preparation to help you improve your academic English from an intermediate to advanced level.
- You will receive unbiased counselling.
- Field trips to our partner universities in Vancouver and guest lectures from our Pathway Partner schools.
For information on our partnering universities and colleges in Canada and the USA please visit our University Pathways page.